What we can help with

We provide an independent, confidential and free advice service in the Kirklees Council area. This service is open to anyone in the Kirklees area over the age of 16 years. This service was previously known as CHAS (Kirklees).

Our Housing Advice team provide specialist advice, legal help and representation on housing and related matters. Some of the key areas of work are in regard to rent and mortgage arrears, housing benefit issues, notices to leave the home, court hearings for home repossession, finding suitable alternative accommodation, helping people facing homelessness and challenging adverse decisions.

If people are under financial pressure and their home is at risk of repossession then we recommend getting advice at the earliest opportunity. We provide representation via a Housing Possession Court Duty Scheme (.pdf) at Huddersfield  County Court. In general we like to see clients in advance of any possession hearing but where this is not possible we could see someone on the day at court. We try and prioritise people with bailiff warrants for possession to be seen in the office as emergencies.

How to access the service

We provide office drop in and telephone contact at two main access points in Dewsbury and Huddersfield (see Contact Us section for details).

Clients can contact us in person or via telephone Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10am - 3pm. We are closed on Wednesday's. Other services such as solicitors, advice services, local authority, support services can signpost or refer people to our service. As a potential client you may wish to talk to a professional who is already working with you and they could help in referring you in to our service.

Agencies may wish to contact us on behalf of their client for secondary advice or a discussion prior to referral.

Leaflet information

Information is available on this page to view and download about the key services the advice team provide.